VTech Survey Finds Communication and Isolation Top Concerns for Seniors and Caregivers
The ability to remain connected and the safety concerns of being alone are the top issues on senior’s minds according to a recent surveyconducted by VTech Communications.
The VTech Caregiver/Senior Communications Survey found that caregivers worried most about the time seniors were alone, while seniors missed an active social life. In fact 41% of seniors surveyed said their top challenge was not being as active or social as they would like. While many seniors would prefer to age-in-place, it’s clear that the ability to stay active within the community and maintain relationships is important for both their emotional and physical well-being. Isolation and loneliness leads to depression in over 15% of people over the age of 65 and
subsequently increases their healthcare costs by 50%. This lack of connection is also of concern as it relates to safety.
Many seniors experience long hours alone at home – 91.6 percent of seniors surveyed said they spend time alone during the week. Their top worries,along with their caregivers’ concerns, included:
- Fall or injury (76.1 percent of caregivers and 33 percent or seniors)
- Medical event or injury requiring immediate assistance (60.8 percent of caregivers and 25.2 percent of seniors)
- Other general problems that seniors wouldn’t feel equipped to deal with alone (45.9 percent of caregivers and 14 percent of seniors)
In the survey, seniors and caregivers identified products they felt would keep them connected and safe while allowing them to maintain independent lifestyles:
- Communication tools such as email, phones, cellphones and Skype – 41.7 percent total
- Healthcare technology such as blood pressure monitors and medication dispensers – 36.7 percent total
- Personal safety products such as wearable pendants to call someone in case of an emergency and home alarm system – 29.4 percent
VTech’s CareLine Personal Communications System Helps Fill Gaps
Addressing caregiver needs to reach their loved ones, and seniors’ desire to remain connected and social, VTech’s new CareLine™ home safety telephone system supports independent living. Designed with experts in aging and technology, the CareLine system (MSRP: $119.95), includes a full-featured corded phone, a cordless handset and a wearable pendant. Blending the comfort and ease of a home phone with the security and flexibility of personal safety products, CareLine puts the ability to connect with trusted contacts at seniors’ fingertips.
Designed to meet the daily communication needs of seniors, the wearable pendant allows them to conveniently make and receive calls, listen to voicemail messages, review missed calls or receive programmed reminders for medication, appointments or other events.
“I wrote this blog post while participating in a campaign by BOOMboxNetwork.com on behalf VTech Communications, Inc. and received payment for my participation. All opinions stated within are my own.”